Saturday, July 6, 2013

Shedding the Superficial

I deactivated my Facebook account last night.

I realized that while it really did not help to develop the deep, personal relationships I had with the people that are close to me, it supported the many superficial relationships I had with people I barely knew. Old work friends, people I'd met a few times, people I'd met on Facebook, friends of friends; people who, while I feel positively towards and wish them well, are not a regular part of my life.

The more time I have spent online lately, the more the lack of profundity on the internet becomes apparent. Perhaps I should fault myself for looking for meaning on a medium that cannot possibly fill such a requirement.

And yet here I am discussing this online. Hmmm.

I think that's all I have for today. But I will say this: I do feel quite lightened this morning, and am imagining the productive ways I can spend time usually spent reading statuses of people I hardly know.

1 comment: